AKNOWLEDGEMENT
A
B
C
D

Z
内容介绍:

这本书通过对原始资料的收集,介绍了一系列英语常用词和词组的词源,读起来很有意思,推荐给大家学习阅读~

Believe it or not, this is probably the first book to attempt to identify the original sources of some of the English language's most common expressions. We might think we know who first said 'famous for fifteen minutes', 'annus horribilis', 'the cold war' and 'let them eat cake'. It's 'a no brainer', you might say, but Max Cryer has a surprise or two in store for you. 'I kid you not'. In this very readable book, he explores the origins of hundreds of expressions we use and hear every day and comes up with some surprising findings. Never 'economical with the truth', he might just have 'the last laugh'. We learn what they didnt say...'We are not amused'; 'Elementary my dear Watson'; 'Let them eat cake'; 'First catch your hare'. We learn that the Bible doesnt mention Salome or seven veils. We learn about the origins of the infamous Mile High Club. Written in Max Cryers delightfully witty style, WHO SAID THAT FIRST? is a wonderful book to dip into or settle a friendly dispute. Remember, good books are 'few and far between', and 'you get what you pay for'. So buy this book, 'go ahead, make my day'. The inspiration for WHO SAID THAT FIRST? During his years working in Hollywood, Max Cryer became acquainted with Lucille Ball at the time the worlds most popular comedy actress. One day when they were having lunch together, Max complimented her on the amount of pleasure she gave, and Lucille replied: I would be absolutely nothing without the writers. Its all to do with the way things are written they create the springboard for me. The remark stayed with Max for years, and he realised it was true. Very often the person who said an effective or memorable line didnt actually create it. As Lucille Ball had said, the person in the background should have the credit but was usually invisible. This is was what motivated him to seek not just popular expressions but who had actually originated them.

相关帖子

xiangwei520 | 2019-8-20 06:56 | 显示全部楼层
技术学习教程网,支持一下。
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

UID
贡献
丢币
主题
回帖
注册时间
2018-9-26